What is the Xray Exploratory App
The Xray Exploratory App (XEA) is desktop-based Exploratory Testing Tool that works seamlessly integrated with Xray for Jira. It allows users to define exploratory testing sessions, record videos, capture and annotate screenshots, take notes and much more. It works integrated with Jira and Xray, but can also be used in a standalone mode (Jira and Xray are not required).
With the Xray Exploratory App you can create tests, run test executions and explore software testing like never before.
The app is available for Windows and macOS. You can download the app here.
How to execute a new session inside Xray
Compatible Test Issues
You can only start a new session in Xray Exploratory App in the context of Test issue with a Generic Test definition.
You can find the "Exploratory App" button in:
- The "Execute In" inside an Xray Test Issue - This option will allow you to create a new Test Execution Issue for your session.
- In the "execute test run inline" button - This will update an existing Test Run with a new session.
- Inside the Test Run page - This will update an existing Test Run with a new session.
- In the Test Plan's "Execute inline Test Run" button - This will update an existing Test Run with a new session.
- In the Test Execution's "Execute inline Test Run" button - This will update an existing Test Run with a new session.
Enable/Disable Xray Exploratory App options in Xray
You can enable or disable the options mentioned in the previous section, by going to the Administration page → Xray → Miscellaneous.