Xray comes pre-configured with default values that make sense for most organizations, but it has many options that will allow you to adapt it to your testing process.
In this section
The child pages are organized by common configuration actions that can be performed by project or Jira administrators.
- Project Configuration
- Custom Fields Configuration
- Coverage & Defect Configuration
- Custom Statuses Configuration
- Workflows & Notifications
- Other Administration Settings
- Migration & Copy
- Backup and Restore
There are several ways to configure Xray:
- Directly using Jira configuration and settings: Since Xray uses Jira issues, you are able to configure the issue screens and add custom fields to your test-related issues, in case you want to customize it even further.
- Using Project Settings: At the project level, besides settings related to Test Step and Test Run custom fields, Xray provides also a couple of actions that will allow project administrators to configure the Xray issue types and screens automatically and also the test coverage.
- Using Global Xray Administration Settings: Here is where the majority of Xray settings live. Most of these settings will affect all testing projects within the Jira instance and need to be configured by a Jira administrator.
Get it running - first steps
Please take a look at Project Organization Use Cases to learn more about how to create and enable projects for Xray. It also explains how to set up your project, i.e., whether you should split the test requirements into distinct projects or not.
Xray is configured in the Jira Administration > Manage Apps > Xray.
The following administration pages are provided:
- Miscellaneous: general settings for Xray.
- Custom Field Preferences: configure Xray custom fields.
- Issue Type Mapping: configure which issue types are mapped to Requirements, Defects and Sub-Requirements.
- Requirement Coverage: configure Requirement Coverage settings such as requirement coverage strategy, ignored Requirements and Tests with specific statuses, etc.
- Requirement Projects: configure the projects that have requirements, so they can be covered with Tests and handled accordingly.
- Manage Test Statuses: configure custom Test Run statuses for Xray.
- Manage Test Step Statuses: configure custom Test Step statuses for Xray.
- Default Column Layouts: configure the default columns for each table on the screens.
- Integrity Checker: ensures that Xray components are correct.
- License Management: configure your Xray license provided by Xpand Add-ons.